1. The nightmare of 14-day evictions because of the Solesky ruling started in April 2012. If we try to resolve the ruling by addressing only strict liability, tenants will quickly face another problem if they haven’t already…their next two year lease. Even if the Solesky ruling is nullified with HB73 or another bill that only eliminates strict liability for landlords, what’s to stop a landlord from including a “no pit bulls” clause in the lease renewal? HB422. HB422 is the ONLY bill being proposed that ACTUALLY SOLVES HOUSING DISCRIMINATION FOR DOG OWNERS.
2. HB422 prevents landlords from writing “no [insert breed]” leases. Retroactively. That means, if you have a “no [insert breed]” lease when the law takes effect, that clause is no longer enforceable.
3. HB422 prevents condo associations, homeowner associations from regulating dogs by breed, type, or heritage. Retroactively.
4. HB422 prohibits dogs from being defined or declared dangerous (inherently) by breed, type, or heritage.
5. HB422 stops counties and municipalities from declaring a dog dangerous, potentially dangerous, inherently dangerous, a nuisance, or otherwise regulating dogs by breed, type, or heritage.
6. HB422 can be passed side by side with any of the other bills that propose eliminating strict liability for landlords for the actions of a tenant’s dog (HB73, HB80, HB565, etc).
7. The Solesky ruling affects “PUREBRED pit bulls” ONLY. If landlords are threatening to evict tenants who have mixed breed pit bulls or “pit bull type” dogs…the Solesky rule is NOT the problem. That’s why we need HB422 as much as simply getting rid of strict liability for purebred pit bulls.
What’s the most important thing to know about HB422: YOU CAN MAKE THIS LAW HAPPEN! CONTACT THE MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE:
JUD Districts and Phone Numbers
Joseph Vallario, District 27A, 410-841-3488
Kathleen Dumais, District 15, 301-858-3052
Curt Anderson, District 43, 410-841-3291
Sam Arora, District 19, 301-858-3528
Jill P. Carter, District 41, 410-841-3268
Luke Clippinger, District 46, 301-858-3303
Frank Conaway, District 40, 410-841-3189
Glen Glass, District 34A, 301-858-3280
Michael Hough, District 3B, 301-858-3472
Kevin Kelly, District 1B, 301-858-3404
Susan Lee, District 16, 301 858-3649
Susan McComas, District 35B, 301-858-3272
Michael McDermott, District 38B, 301-858-3431
Neil Parrott, District 2B, 301- 858-3636
Samuel Rosenberg, District 41, 410-841-3297
Luiz Simmons, District 17, 301-858-3037
Michael Smigiel, District 36, 410-841-3555
Darren Swain, District 24, 301-858-3692
Kris Valderrama, District 26, 301-841-3210
Geraldine Valentino-Smith, District 23A, 301-858-3101
Jeffrey Waldstreicher, District 18, 301-858-3130